Xocolatl

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Summer Squash Tart

This is such an easy and simple recipe but still awesome and quick! 
Spring is here... kind of.. so I decided to make something fresh and easy, it can be eaten right away from the oven or simply at room temperature.
I thawed a sheet of frozen puff pastry which by the way is so versatile... I think everybody should have it on hand. With it, you can make and endless number of sweet or savory dishes that with very little effort look very impressive ;) and along with my trusty mandolin in a few minutes this beauty came out of the oven.
I made mine very light with only one summer squash.


You will need: 

1 sheet (thawed) puff pastry
1 summer squash thinly sliced
2 tablespoons of EVOO
the juice of one lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
1 egg beaten with a splash of water

Heat up your oven to 400 F

Whisk the EVOO, lemon juice, salt and pepper and pour over the thinly sliced summer squash.

Place sheet of puff pastry (I used Trader Joe's which comes flat out and already pricked, was flat enough for my taste so I really didn't do anything to it, so it turned out perfectly square ;) on top of parchment paper, paint with EVOO and sprinkle salt and pepper to taste, and then arrange the squash slices in rows.
Then paint the edges with the egg wash.






Just before placing the tray in the oven I sprinkled freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese all over it, for an extra saltiness and nuttiness ;)
Every oven is different and since puff pastry is so delicate, keep a look on it, I baked mine for about 10 minutes, until it was crisp and deep golden brown.



Like I said before, this is delicious right out of the oven, or if you are having people over and want to enjoy their company, make it ahead of time and simply serve it at room temperature, it's simply delicious and very delicate, you'll really enjoy it. Also feel free to garnish it with chopped parsley, rosemary, basil or your favorite herb, this time I garnished mine simply with a bunch of sprouts.



Enjoy!
More puff pastry recipes soon to come! ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment