Xocolatl

Monday, May 6, 2013

Classic Ebelskivers with Simple Chocolate Syrup

Now, breakfast has to be my favorite meal, and if I can have it later, after a great night of sleep and cook it at my own pace, while everybody else is still asleep... it's simply perfect! Well... all these conditions happened to happen yesterday, Sunday morning. We were going to do the vegetable garden later so I knew I didn't have to worry about too many calories in our breakfast, we were going to get our workout latter, and oh boy! we sure did! :)
 
Since I was all by myself in the kitchen I decided to make these delicious treats that everybody loves in our home. I made these guys basic, we all like different toppings and stuffing for them so I just made them plain, this way we were able to add our favorites: powder sugar, maple syrup, mango jelly, etc...  I had my with this simple chocolate syrup and raspberry jam! Breakfast heaven on a plate!
I'd like to tell you a little bit about their history: Denmark is among other things famous for it's apples (ebler) therefore the name, because the literal translation of ebelskiver is: sliced apples, but every Danish home has it's own recipe (some use yeast, some baking powder... endless possibilities...), and some don't even include apples at all, like this one, so they are totally customizable according to one's own taste.
 
I've read a lot of legends about ebelskivers, but this one is my favorite, so here it goes...
The legend says that Vikings coming back from a fierce battle, obviously hungry and with no pans on which to cook, they placed their damaged shields over the fire and cooked pancakes in the indentations.
 
Nowadays, I simply went to amazon and bought mine, a cute little cast iron one for only $11.00
 
 
 
Classic Ebelskiver Recipe
 
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs (separated)
1 cup of milk (I happened to have some buttermilk, so I used half and half milk)
3 tablespoons of butter melted and slightly cooled
 
Makes 4-7 servings, about 21 ebelskivers
 
Preheat the oven at 200 F. For the batter, in a bowl whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks, then whisk in the milk and the 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Add the yolk mixture to the flour mixture and with a wooden spoon stir until well blended. Keep in mind that the batter will be lumpy.
 
In a clean bowl, with an electric mixer on high (or by hand, about 3 minutes) beat the egg whites only until stiff (but not dry) peaks form. With a spatula, fold about 1/3 of the whites into the batter to make it lighter and then incorporate the rest until you can't see any white streaks.
 
Brush the wells of your pan with some remaining melted butter over medium heat, and when the butter starts to bubble, add 3 tablespoons of batter into each well.
 
Cook until the bottoms are lightly browned and crisp, 3-5 minutes. Using two bamboo skewers, turn the pancakes and cook for about another 3 minutes until the second side is lightly brown.
 
Transfer the finished pancakes to platter and keep them warm in the oven while you make the rest of them. Sprinkle them with powdered sugar.
 
 
 I made a double batch so I place half of them in a zip lock bag and froze them, they do freeze beautifully.
 
For the simple Chocolate Syrup
 
4 tablespoons of good quality unsweetened cocoa powder (the better the quality the better the results, of course)
2 tablespoons of heavy cream, plus 1 tablespoon of water mixed together (if not use regular milk or even water)
1 1/2 of powdered sugar
 
In a bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, and slowly stir in the liquid. Whisk until you get a silky and smooth glaze, literally it takes a minute to make. Adjust the liquid until you get a pourable consistency syrup.
 
 
 They turned out perfect! and to me... there's nothing better that chocolate and raspberries together, so I devoured a couple of them before anybody woke up... well, maybe more that a couple... :P
 

Give them a try, you won't regret it... and like I said, the possibilities are endless when it comes to ingredients to add of toppings to pair them with.
Thank you Vikings! ;)
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment