Xocolatl

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Fresh Grilled Figs with French Vanilla Yogurt and Honey-Frangelico Liqueur Syrup

It's fig season! Thank Goodness now they seem to be more affordable, because figs are one of my favorite fruits... They bring me so many childhood memories... hot long summer days... my Grandma's house ancient, knotted, twisted fig tree produced the biggest sweetest figs ever! We also had another fig tree at my father's garden, so when fig season came, they were all over the place... If I close my eyes I can still see my father bringing them home by the bucket! 


Since now is BBQ season, (among other things I made fig ice cream with some of them, I'll post the recipe in the next few days...) I decided to grill some of them, and let me tell you I was not disappointed. They were not too sweet since I used plain unsweetened creamy Greek Yogurt... a perfect match!

Here is what youl need:
(Serves 1)

4 Fresh Figs
Oil or cooking spray
1 Plain Unsweetened Greek Yogurt
1 vanilla bean split, seeds scraped off
2 tablespoons Honey
1 tablespoons Frangelico Liqueur (Hazelnut, you can also try Amaretto)
Hazelnut cookies crumbled up (use Amaretti cookies if using Amaretto Liqueur)


You only have to cut them in half, brush them or spray them with oil (I used organic coconut oil spray) and place them on a hot grill or grill pan. It's very important that you don't remove them until they become loose on their own, if you try to remove them while they're stuck to the grill, you'll remove those lovely grill marks, and you'll end up with a messy, sticky and not pretty looking fig, simply try to lift them up super lighty and remove them ONLY when they become totally loose.


For the yogurt, I used plain Greek yogurt, split a fresh French vanilla bean, added the lovely, tinny, sweet seeds and mixed it all together, placed it in a round mold and froze it for about half hour, until I was able to release it while it still held the round shape and placed the yogurt in the middle of a deep dish.


Placed grilled figs around.
For the simple sweet syrup I mixed two tablespoons of honey and one tablespoon of Franfelico (Hazelnut Liqueur) poured over the final dish and added Hazelnut cookie crumbs to give it some crunch...




They get caramelized and smoky and sweet... the flavor is just insanely good... and then the freshness and silkiness of the Greek Yogurt was a perfect pairing, my mouth is watering as I'm typing... hehe.
 I devoured them! LOL.

If you never tried fresh figs before... give them a try, You'll fall in love right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment