Xocolatl

Monday, July 29, 2013

Gluten Free Blueberry Scones

I've been asked many times on my etsy shop if I could make this or that item gluten free, but the two most popular items I've been asked about, were gluten free scones and gluten free madeleines. It took me a long time to build up the will to make these two items celiac friendly, and I thought I had to wait at least until September to try them since we've had such a long heat wave, that just the thought of turning the oven on put me to sweat... hehe
 
But last Thursday, the weather went completely nuts and just sent us a fall day in the middle of July... lower 60's in the middle of summer, so it was the first thought, make celiac friendly goodies and so I did, I made them both with a very happy ending I think... either one didn't make it to the next day, so I take that as a success... ;)
 
 
Gluten Free Blueberry Scones
 
 
1 3/4 cups Gluten Free Multi purpose Flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon gluten free baking soda
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (don't forget this, it will hold the scones together)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon gluten free vanilla extract
1 stick cold butter cut into small pieces
1/2 cup dried blueberries
2 large eggs
1/3 cup chilled buttermilk
 
 
Mix all dry ingredients and using a fork work in the butter until the mixture is crumbly and resembles cornmeal, I did it with my hands so I refrigerated the mix for about 10-15 minutes to get the butter cold again ;) add dried blueberries.
 
In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla extract until well combined and add to dry ingredients and stir until well blended
 
Dough should be cohesive and pretty sticky.
 
 
on a well floured surface and with well floured hands, form the dough into a log-like shape, or round shape and cut to give desired shape.
 
Bake at 400 F for 15-20 minutes, until the rise high and turn nice deep golden brown.
I really like my scones the traditional way, still warm and with a dollop of clotted cream which I prefer to call Double Devon Cream that you can buy here.
You would never know these are gluten free, pair with a nice cup of English Tea and enjoy your afternoon tea to the max ;)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment