Xocolatl

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Fresh Fig Ice Cream

Here it is! Fresh California Figs Ice Cream. We got an ice cream maker last year, and since the summer started, I basically make sorbets or ice cream every single week: rum raisin, mango, banana, pineapple... 


and since I had bought so many figs the other day, I had to do something with them, and what's better than ice cream during this insanely long heat wave we are going through...


I always say that I don't like anything sweet too sweet, and ice cream is no different, so since these figs were super ripe and sweet, I didn't add any sugar at all, I thought that I could always add a little honey or maple syrup over it, but I really didn't have to, it was just the right sweetness for me! ;)


This is what you'll need:

1 lb fresh ripe figs
1 cup water
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice

Cut the figs in quarters, stems removed and in a heavy bottomed sauce pan cook them with the water for about 8-10 minutes until it reaches marmalade consistency, using a wooden spoon make the fig pieces smaller by stirring it. If mixture is not sweet enough for you, add desired sugar at this point a tablespoon at a time until you get the desired sweetness.
Place in the refrigerator for about 2 hours or until completely chilled. Pour mixture into a blender, add chilled cream and blend until you get a fine puree, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time if too thick.

Pour in ice cream maker churn depending on the brand for about 10 minutes. Pour in plastic or ice cream container and place in freezer to harden thoroughly.

Delicious topped with chopped almonds and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup... 



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment